What to Do After a Car Accident in Asheville
Whether you were in a minor accident or a major car accident in Asheville, the experience can be upsetting and extremely stressful. However, knowing what to do after a car accident will give you greater peace of mind and help you make the following hours, days, and weeks easier. Learn what to do after an accident and how to file a car insurance claim with Hyundai of Asheville below, or contact our team if you have any specific questions about car accident insurance claims.
The Car Accident Checklist
There’s a lot to consider after you’ve been in an accident, but the team at Hyundai of Asheville has broken your next steps down into an easy to read checklist.
Minor accidents usually occur if you were involved in a fender-bender in Black Mountain or if someone backed into your car at the grocery store. See what to do after a minor accident below:
- Check to see if you or your passengers need medical attention: If someone was injured during the accident, contact emergency services right away.
- Move your vehicle to a safe spot: If you’re able to move your vehicle, pull over to a safe area that’s close to the accident site but where you won’t block traffic.
- Call the authorities: Call your local authorities so you can have official documentation of the accident. This will help later on when you file a claim with your insurance provider.
- Exchange contact information: Exchange information with the other driver(s) involved. You should also get photos of the other driver’s license, license plate number, and insurance cards. Ask for the contact information of any witnesses as well.
- Document your vehicle’s damage: Get detailed photos of the damage to your vehicle and the other vehicle(s) involved. Get a photo of the accident scene as well if it’s possible.
- Call your insurance provider: The sooner you file a claim with your insurer the sooner repairs can begin.
If you’re involved in a major accident in Hendersonville, you or another party may have severe property damage, serious injuries, or there may be fatalities. If you’re involved in a major accident, the steps will be a bit different.
- Call emergency services immediately: If you or another person is seriously injured, contact emergency services yourself or have someone else contact them on your behalf. The police and an ambulance should come to assess the scene and take the affected person(s) to local hospitals. If you’re able to, you should try to document the damage on your own, but do not put yourself in danger or get in the way of emergency services.
- Contact your insurance provider: Regardless of whether you were able to collect information at the scene of the accident or not, you should contact your insurance provider.Follow up with them about the accident to make sure the process is going smoothly. They may ask you for more information if someone else contacted them on your behalf at the time of the accident.
- Follow up with your physician: Visit a physician if you’re still feeling pain or discomfort after the accident. Your doctor will be able to help you mitigate any pain or subsequent medical problems. You’ll also want to alert your insurer to any lingering health problems you have as a consequence of the accident.
How to File a Car Insurance Claim
After you’ve collected information and documented the accident, you’ll need to file a claim with your insurance provider. Learning how to file a car insurance claim is easy and mostly universal. When you file a car accident insurance claim, you’ll need to provide the following:
- Your insurance policy number
- Detailed description of how the accident occurred
- Date, time, and location of the accident
- All the collected contact and insurance information from other involved parties
- Name of the police department involved, as well as the police report number (if applicable)
After you provided the above information, your vehicle will be evaluated by an insurance adjuster. The adjuster will then help you estimate the cost of your repairs, coverage, and more. Your insurance adjuster may ask to inspect your vehicle in person if your photos of the accident are not sufficient.
Let Hyundai of Asheville Get You Back on the Road
When you’re ready to get back on Weaverville roads, let the team at Hyundai of Asheville help you find the right vehicle for your needs. Whether you want a sleek sedan for your commute or a capable SUV for your weekend adventures, there’s a new Hyundai model waiting for you. Apply for financing today and browse our new vehicle specials for additional savings on your next vehicle purchase.